Video Workshop_14: The Spinal Engine (2hr 55mins)
Yoga Workshop Video: The Spinal Engine
Join Catherine Annis on this workshop video to explore the spine’s power, resilience and innate intelligence through creatively exploring movement as initiated and driven from the lumbar spine.
A spectacular piece of engineering, our spine is supremely adapted, elastic and responsive. As both the central powerhouse of the physical body and the housing of the central nervous system, it’s intimately involved in everything we do in daily life and in our yoga practice.
During this yoga workshop Catherine will guide you through a thoughtful, enquiry-led practice designed to enhance your conscious awareness of the spine as both a sensory organ and an initiator of movement.
Through practice and an anatomical focus, you’ll explore how the spine is integral to wellbeing at all levels, its role as both structural support and sensory receptor, and how developing conscious awareness of the spine benefits our bodies in all movements, complex and simple, allowing us to move with more ease and grace. You’ll sense into your own unique anatomy to find ways of practising yoga that are inspired by the shape and form of our own bones.
You’ll leave this workshop with a fresh perspective on your individual spine and the confidence to explore yoga in an intelligent, personalised way, whatever your practice style, creating a unique and individual approach to movement that will sustain you for life.
Aims of this workshop are:
- To understand the structure and function of the spine and how it supports us and is involved in our movement and sense of wellbeing both on and off the mat
- To incorporate learning and knowledge into yoga practice, exploring simple and more complex postures
- Approaching the spine as both a sensory organ and an initiator of movement
- Understand the way you relate to and move with your own unique anatomy to find ways of practising yoga that are inspired by the shape and form of our own bones
- Understanding the subtle connection of breath to spine through direct personal experience
- Exploring how to sense the flow and pulse of CSF (cerebral spine fluid) and noticing how that affects our movement and general overall wellbeing, supporting our natural ability to heal
- To understand personal habitual movement patterns and consider ways of changing this to bring more ease and simplicity to movement
- Understand how the spine is central to our feeling of wellbeing
- The spine’s role as both structural support and sensory receptor
- Learn how conscious awareness of the spine benefits our approach to all movement
Delivered in a practical, accessible style, these workshops are not to be missed.
Suitable for all.
As soon as we receive confirmation of your payment, our admin will email you a link to the video (mp4 format) where you can play or download your own copy.